Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The street that I live in

In the street that I live,
there is a place of worship
where, a Woman is praised as a Goddess
and songs are sung about her,
incessantly...

In the street that I live,
Which is named after her,
Every house has photos of her hung on their walls
And men and women seek blessings from her, alike

But, in the street I live,
I also have...

women who pray to this Goddess that
their daughters and daughters-in-law
Are blessed with baby boys,

Girls who fear
walking by when the night sets in,
Or without facing a stalking eye

Daughters who are molested
And hushed up by mothers
For the sake of dignity
Uncles who fondle two and three year olds at the wrong places
And Wives who are beaten up mercilessly.


This is the street that I live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment